Your wedding day is likely something you have looked forward to most of your life. You’ve been dreaming of it for years, and now that you are engaged, you cannot wait for the big day to get here. Be sure to prepare yourself for the road between your engagement and the main event. Wedding planning can be extremely stressful and exhausting, not to mention the strain it can put on relationships. With these tips, you can help alleviate some of that stress so you can focus on the fun.
1. Know yourself, know what you want. Of course, you want to take your parents, your grandparents, and your friends’ opinions into account, but remember this is your wedding (meaning yours and your partners). Be sure to gauge your emotions and how those weigh on what is important to you in planning your day. Take care to nurture your feelings while also taking others’ into account and handling any disagreements with them tactfully and gracefully. This will prevent conflict and controversy and keep everyone on the same page.
2. Choose your wedding party carefully. Number 1 brings us to Number 2. Be selective in who you choose to surround yourself with while planning and carrying out your wedding. Your bridal party should be comprised of family and friends who know you well, have seen you at your best and worst, and can handle all those ups and downs right along with you. Having people whose opinions you value and you know you can lean on can help you manage tough decisions and the emotional roller-coaster that can accompany planning a wedding
3. Plan ahead. Most wedding planners will recommend starting the planning process 12-16 months ahead of time and to create an all-encompassing checklist. This allows you plenty of time to secure your venue, book your service vendors (think florist, caterer, DJ or band, photographer, etc., etc.), find the perfect dress for you and your bridesmaids and have them altered, order your invitations, and still allow time to make changes or rectify any mistakes that pop up along the way. Waiting until the last minute to plan can lead to difficulty finding availability for everything from a pastor to flights for the honeymoon. You want your big day to go off without a hitch and be magical, not a chaotic hodgepodge, so plan far in advance.
4. Use referrals. Piggybacking off of number 3, use referrals when booking your vendors and service providers. Ask your friends who they used, research local resource guides, and ask for references. Don’t be afraid to ask questions to make sure you know exactly what you are paying for, and they have no question as to what your expectations are. Done in conjunction with plenty of time and planning, this will allow time for any wrinkles to be ironed out.
5. Sweat it out. Be sure to exercise regularly during your wedding planning. Not only will this keep you in shape and prevent stress eating from packing on pounds, exercising will help you work out the stress, clear your mind, and keep you focused. Whether you prefer yoga, hitting the trails, or cross training, maintaining a regular exercise routine is key in counterbalancing stress. Not only will you look fabulous in your dress, you will be relaxed and on top of your game for your big day.
6. Eat healthy. As mentioned above, this can be a very stressful time. Eating a healthy diet packed with all your essential vitamins and minerals will help your body combat stress and stay healthy. You don’t want to be run down or have a weakened immune system and end up sick. Balance this with plenty of water and enough sleep so you will be looking and feeling your best on the big day.
7. Remember to have fun. So often brides get so caught up in the planning that they forget to actually enjoy the experience of planning their wedding and walking down the aisle. This is likely the biggest decision you have ever made and the beginning of a new life together. Embrace all that comes with it and know that even if things don’t go exactly perfect, the most important aspect of it all is enjoying this time with your partner. Take it all in and make the day yours to remember together for a lifetime.
Planning a wedding is a huge task, but with planning and care, it can be an exciting, enjoyable journey. Using the tips above can help you manage the stress and keep your focus on sharing this experience and starting your life together on a happy note.
***And don't forget -- Hiring a Wedding Planner will give you peace of mind and can even help SAVE you money!
We love a theme. Every party needs one, every event deserves one. Follow us on our journey down the path of creative party planning & exceptional events!